Introduction: UNDERTALE, an indie RPG developed by Toby Fox, has garnered a massive following since its release in 2015. The game’s unique blend of storytelling, humor, and moral choices has captivated players worldwide. In this article, we will thoroughly examine the pros and cons of UNDERTALE, provide a comprehensive guide on how to play the game, and offer a list of the top 5 alternatives for those looking for similar gaming experiences.
Also read: Top 10 best PS4 games in 2023
Pros of UNDERTALE:
- Unique Gameplay: UNDERTALE distinguishes itself from traditional RPGs with its innovative combat system. Instead of resorting to mindless violence, players can choose to spare or interact with enemies, leading to different outcomes. This choice-driven gameplay makes UNDERTALE a refreshing departure from the norm.
- Memorable Characters: The game boasts a colorful cast of characters, each with their quirks and personality. From the friendly skeleton brothers, Sans and Papyrus, to the endearing goat-mom, Toriel, UNDERTALE’s characters are well-written, memorable, and add depth to the game’s narrative.
- Thought-Provoking Storyline: UNDERTALE weaves a captivating tale filled with moral dilemmas and emotional depth. As players navigate through the underground world, their choices affect the game’s storyline and determine which of the multiple endings they’ll experience. This dynamic narrative keeps players engaged and invested in the story.
- Fantastic Soundtrack: Toby Fox, the game’s creator, is also responsible for its phenomenal soundtrack. The music perfectly complements the game’s atmosphere, enhancing the emotional impact of key moments. Tracks like “Megalovania” and “Undertale” have become iconic within the gaming community.
- Replayability: With its branching storylines and numerous secrets, UNDERTALE encourages multiple playthroughs. Players can experiment with different choices, uncover hidden easter eggs, and explore the game’s vast world, ensuring that every run feels unique.
- Humor and Wit: UNDERTALE is renowned for its clever humor and meta-commentary on gaming conventions. It breaks the fourth wall, often to humorous effect, keeping players entertained with unexpected surprises and jokes.
- Pixel Art Aesthetic: The game’s retro-style pixel art is charming and evokes nostalgia for classic RPGs. The simplicity of the graphics allows for the characters’ personalities to shine through and contributes to the game’s overall appeal.
Cons of UNDERTALE:
- Graphics Not for Everyone: While the pixel art is endearing to many, some players might find it less visually appealing than modern, high-definition graphics. This is a matter of personal preference, but it can be a turn-off for those who prefer more realistic visuals.
- Difficulty Spikes: UNDERTALE’s difficulty can spike in some areas, making certain boss battles frustratingly challenging. Some players might find themselves stuck on a particular encounter, which can be discouraging.
- Limited Exploration: The game’s underground world, though rich in storytelling and characters, can feel somewhat limited in terms of exploration. Some players may wish for a more expansive world to explore.
- Short Playtime: UNDERTALE is relatively short, with the main story typically taking around 6-10 hours to complete. While the game’s multiple endings and replayability extend its lifespan, those looking for longer gaming experiences might find it lacking in this regard.
- Limited Voice Acting: UNDERTALE lacks voice acting, which may be disappointing to players who enjoy fully voiced characters in their RPGs. However, this is a minor issue given the game’s strengths in other areas.
How to Play UNDERTALE:
UNDERTALE is available on various platforms, including PC, Mac, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, and Nintendo Switch. To get started with the game, follow these steps:
- Purchase and Download: First, purchase the game from your preferred platform’s digital store or the official UNDERTALE website. Once purchased, download and install the game onto your device.
- Launch the Game: After installation, launch UNDERTALE from your game library or desktop icon.
- Character Creation: The game begins with character creation. You can name your character and customize their appearance. This initial decision has no significant impact on gameplay but adds a personal touch to the experience.
- Navigate the Underground: As the game progresses, you’ll find yourself in the underground world inhabited by various monsters. Navigate through different areas, meet characters, and engage in conversations.
- Combat System: When you encounter monsters, you’ll enter a turn-based combat sequence. Here, you have a choice to either attack, act, use an item, or spare the enemy. Experiment with different options to progress through battles without violence.
- Choices Matter: UNDERTALE is all about choices. Your actions and decisions during interactions and battles affect the story and outcome. You can play through the game without killing any monsters, or take a more aggressive approach.
- Multiple Endings: The game has several possible endings, so your choices will lead to different outcomes. To experience all of them, you’ll need to play UNDERTALE multiple times.
- Save Points: Use save points scattered throughout the game to record your progress. Be mindful of these, as they can help you avoid replaying segments if things go south.
- Enjoy the Soundtrack: Pay attention to the wonderful soundtrack. It enhances the game’s atmosphere and emotional impact.
- Experiment and Explore: UNDERTALE encourages experimentation and exploration. Try different actions, interact with characters, and uncover secrets to fully enjoy the game’s depth.
Top 5 Alternatives to UNDERTALE:
If you’ve already experienced UNDERTALE and are looking for similar gaming experiences, here are five alternatives that share some of its key qualities:
- “Deltarune”: Created by Toby Fox, the same mind behind UNDERTALE, “Deltarune” is a spiritual successor that retains the humor, character-driven narrative, and unique combat system. The game features a new cast of characters and continues to explore choices and morality.
- “Lisa: The Painful RPG”: Known for its dark humor and moral dilemmas, “Lisa: The Painful RPG” offers a post-apocalyptic setting and a similar turn-based combat system. The choices you make in this game have profound consequences on the story.
- “Undungeon”: “Undungeon” combines pixel art aesthetics with action RPG gameplay. It features a colorful cast of characters and a unique story-driven experience. Players can expect challenging battles and complex moral decisions.
- “OneShot”: “OneShot” is an indie adventure game with puzzle-solving and deep storytelling. Like UNDERTALE, it explores the player-character relationship and fourth-wall-breaking elements. Your choices significantly impact the game’s outcome.
- “To The Moon”: While not an RPG, “To The Moon” is an emotionally-driven narrative game. It’s a touching story-driven experience that explores themes of memory and regret. While it lacks combat, it shares UNDERTALE’s emphasis on storytelling and player choices.
UNDERTALE, with its unique gameplay, memorable characters, thought-provoking storyline, fantastic soundtrack, and humor, has earned a special place in the hearts of gamers worldwide. While it has its share of cons, such as its graphics and difficulty spikes, the pros far outweigh them, making it a must-play for those who enjoy choice-driven narratives and creative gameplay.
To play UNDERTALE, simply purchase and download it on your preferred platform, create your character, and immerse yourself in the underground world. Remember that your choices matter and can lead to multiple endings, encouraging replayability.
For those seeking similar gaming experiences, “Deltarune,” “Lisa: The Painful RPG,” “Undungeon,” “OneShot,” and “To The Moon” offer alternatives that share some of UNDERTALE’s key qualities, from humor and deep storytelling to unique gameplay mechanics.
Tasha Harshman: As a talented blogger and writer, she weaves words into magic, leaving readers spellbound. With every article, Tasha’s storytelling prowess and unique perspective ignite imagination and spark curiosity. Prepare to be transported to extraordinary worlds.